Sunday, January 9, 2011

Resolutions

So far so good on the resolution for my blogging!  It has only been a week...aren't you proud of me?!  This past week, after my last blog post (or shall I say my short novel) I've been constantly thinking what to blog about next.  With everything Connor does I think "blog that".  But since it's only been a week and he hasn't done much I figured I'd write mainly about my 2011 resolutions.

But first I have a few things that Connor has been up to lately.  He has 2 bottom teeth about to plunge through his gums.  I can see both of them.  One has broken skin a little bit and I can feel the sharpness.  I'm excited that he won't be one of those 1 in a million babies who doesn't teeth until 2 years old, but I'm also not excited for the biting.  The great thing- so far he hasn't been more fussy, hope it stays that way. 

Connor's new favorite thing to do- reach for everything.  This isn't all that new, but it's his main focus in life at this point (other than 5 poops a day).  Whether he's sitting on his butt, in his exersaucer, in his johnny jump up, or in our arms, he reaches for whatever he sees- toy, his food, our food, the shinny drawer handle, everything.  During his floor play time he'll reach, and almost get on his hands and knees...but more so his hands and a knee/foot combo.  Then he rocks a little and it ends in a face plant or a side fall.  After that he rolls front to back a few times and rotates until he reaches what he wants.  It's pretty cute and I'm kind of anxious for a crawl, but also not. 

Other than this, Connor's mostly been playing with his 2 best friends, Putney and Hailey.  Here's a picture of Connor riding Putney, he loves to do this now too:

...and a pic of Connor and his #1 girlfriend Hailey in their Christmas gifts to each other:


Connor has already had a busy 2011 with more parties to go to than us.  His friend Haydie Cain turned 3 on the 2nd so Connor dragged us to Wilmington to go to Jungle Rapids.  It was a great time and Haydie and her friends were all over the place in there.  Connor is a little young but he did enjoy his first time in the balls (then we marinated him in germ-x).  Then yesterday Connor's first of many girlfriends turned one- Genevieve (Evie) King.  It was an exciting time for Connor and his friends- he even skipped his nap to watch Evie dive into her first cake.  Here's a picture of Connor (7mo), Sean (4mo), Evie (1), Hailey (7mo) and Lila (5wks):


Back to my resolutions.  I ended the last blog saying I want to blog more so that's obviously the first one.  Specifics are what will keep you on top of your resolutions- so more specifically, I will post a new blog at least every other week, so at least 1 per 14 days. 

Another resolution is to read one book a month.  Non baby!  I realized that I haven't finished a non-baby or pregnancy book since we went to Italy in August 2008.  Sad I know.  I didn't think I'd have much time with Connor because, believe it or not, being a stay at home mom is MUCH busier than working a 9-5 job, most days.  However I've been reading this week during feeding times (which really only totals 45 minutes a day) and in the evening instead of watching TV.  I'm 2/3 the way through my first book of the year- "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks.  Of course I'd start with my favorite author!  Don't be surprised if half my 2011 reading is his.  It's a great book so far, and the main character was a Marine and it takes place only 30 minutes from our house so I've been enjoying comparing the fictional book to real life.  So what's next?  I have no idea- I'm taking book suggestions.  I have a few that I've gotten over the years but other than that I really need some ideas.  So please- post a comment with a must-read!

So my third resolution- budgeting.  Yes we're a single income family now but we do live in a low cost area so it's not imperative that we budget, but I spend way too much on Connor's clothes!  And clearly on my own.  I also have never really budgeted before and lets be honest- I get pleasure in dealing with numbers!  It's how my brain works I can't help it.  So to create an excel spreadsheet with numeric equations is just straight up fun for me.  I don't know how I never thought to do this before, I mean I love math, and finances, and organization.  Well I'm going to do it this year!  I already started my excel spreadsheet and maybe it'll help me spend less on clothes and more on Connor's college fund!  Do you know what they expect in-state tuition to be in 18-20 years?  BabyGap and Gymboree cargo pants and onesies aren't going to magically turn into college cash. 

For my (our) 4th and final resolution.  New meals.  On odd Thursdays.  So about every other Thursday we'll cook a new meal from one of our 15 cook books or online recipes.  In addition to cook books, we probably have 50 recipes in our recipe box that we've never tried.  Every Thursday is just too much, and I didn't have my act together this past Thursday to do it so we'll go with odd Thursdays.  Maybe it will lead to creating new recipes:)

Best of luck with all YOUR resolutions! Here's an adorable pic of Daddy's little DC United fan to end the post with:

No comments:

Post a Comment